Creating a business that is as green as possible is important and challenging. Wine is made from nature – vines, soil, insects, fungi, bacteria, grapes, birds, worms, poop, flowers, legumes, rain, sun, and a little bit of luck.
Being sustainable is more than talking about carbon-neutral shipping. It is about the relationships with everyone involved – producers, designers, logistics companies, warehousing, print shops, banks, and the resources needed to make this all possible.
I want to be a role model with my sustainable wine business. I am realistic and take action where I can. I continue to be amazed by what is possible in this world!
How I am Making My Business Greener
- Family-run businesses (no big corporations)
- working with wineries with sustainability goals and practices
- Carbon-neutral shipping within the US
- Contributing a portion of my profits to climate action organizations
- Encourage fewer and larger shipments (even though we all love getting mail!)
- No unnecessary paper waste, all the information is available digitally
- No unnecessary branded shipping boxes and plastic-free tape
- Economically business cards from Overnight Prints
- Using Beneficial State Bank; they don’t invest in fossil fuels unlike most other big banks
- I pay wineries above market price and keep them part of their product until it reaches you
My Future Green Business Goals:
- Donate money to local non-profit organizations helping the environment
- Make Lisa Tupetz Wine carbon emission zero. I will give you some resources about what you can do as well. A book that inspired me recently is called “Wallet Activism” by Tanja Hester.
- Purchase wine in bulk and then bottle it in the US to reduce carbon through lighter shipments.
- Support local wherever I go or live.
- Use recycled and compostable packaging and tape. I also use it for my personal mail.
- Work with the wineries on how they are improving their own green initiatives
- Education on sustainability
My mission is to make a positive impact on the planet and have a negative carbon footprint.